Thursday, August 21, 2014

Midsummer Night's Run 30k - Race Recap

Midsummer Night's Run is an evening race in Toronto that offers a 5k, 15k, and a 30k.  Every year I consider it, but I have never done it.

I was back and forth over this race for weeeeeks.

Should I do it?  Would it take too long for recovery afterwards?  Am I ready?

In the end, I realized that I would have to do an evening long run that day anyway (due to Papa's work schedule) so I might was well have some entertainment, some company, and some aid stations if I was running at dusk!

…a lovely race shirt, and amazing medal were added bonuses


This has to be one of the nicest medals I've received!

The run was going to be a training run with some fast miles.  No big deal.

As Saturday approached, the weather here in these parts started to turn.  Like, really turn.  People everywhere were calling it, "Augtober," and, well, I was bundling up too.

Surely the weather will brighten up by Saturday's race?

Not so much.  The weather network was calling for rain.  All day.

Summer rain isn't so bad.  It has a nice way of cooling off those really hot days, making for a nice and refreshing evening.  It will be ok.  Right?  Anyone?

Saturday came, and so did the rain.  And the wind.

I drove to the race parking, where I then had to leave the warmth of my car to board a shuttle bus to the starting area.  I was prepared with a bag of warm clothes for post-race, and a garbage bag to wear until the race start, if it started to pour at all.

By the time I got to the park, near the starting line, I had dug out my sweatshirt and was wearing it under my garbage bag.  I would then have to wait to check my bag, as I would definitely want that sweatshirt after the race.

The sideways wind out of the southwest brought rain drops that stung against my goosebumps on my legs.  This is August.  Mid-August.

Time passed very slowly, as I huddle at the side of a tent, trying to stay out of the wind.  Eventually it came time to go for a warm-up.  I was actually excited to go and "warm up."

I checked my bag (so long, sweatshirt!) but kept the garbage bag on.  High fashion at this race!

*many people actually do dress in costume for this race.  The weather didn't break anyone's spirit, either.  Lots of fairy wings in attendance here!  But not on me.

I made my way back to the start, and I actually thought, "what if I have to run this entire race in a garbage bag?"

I made sure my garmin was set, then, just before the gun went off, the rain really started to pour.

ah, well.

There is something magic about races though.  The moment the gun actually did go off, the weather was furthest from my mind.  Sure, heading out into the wind was kind of sucky, but we were moving, in a large crowd, trying to settle into pace.  We didn't have time to worry about the rain.

I am not really sure when the pouring stopped, but it did.

I told myself to keep those first couple of miles slow.  This was just a training run.  But then, it wasn't just a training run anymore somehow.

Put a timing chip on a runner, and all bets are off?

I settled into a pack of dudes that, if I played my cards right, could serve as nice wind-blockers when we would inevitably get into the big windy stretches.  One of the dudes was the 2:20min "pace fairy".  I knew this pace was sustainable, as I have run the Around the Bay in 2:18:47.

My goal became keeping my pace regulated throughout the whole course.  I really wanted to finish the race with Garmin results that I didn't cringe at in those last miles.

This course was lovely.  Mostly paved trails, with small stints on the road (very small road portions).  We started into the wind at about the 4 mile mark.  This lasted beyond the 7 mile mark, then we got a nice break with the wind behind us.

miles 1-7 splits: 7:24, 7:28, 7:16, 7:15, 7:32, 7:27 (Gu), 7:21

We headed back toward the main road, and joined the course of the 15km runners.  It was a HUGE crowd!  We ran together for a mile or two, then split apart.  They headed toward the finish, and we headed toward Ashbridges Bay park.  Lots of twists and turns in this part of the course.  Also, varying terrain.  Pavement, wooden boardwalk, mulch, sandy gravel, back to pavement.  While in the park, they had a timing mat at the half-marathon marker! (1:36:46)

miles 8-14 splits: 7:12, 7:18, 7:32, 7:33, 7:29, 7:16, 7:14

As I headed out of the park, I could feel the west-wind like a wall.  This part was going to be tough.  I had well under 10km left to run.  I could do this, but it might hurt a little.

miles 15-18.7 splits: 7:36 (Gu), 7:32, 7:40, 7:41, 7:28

The course was a lot busier in the last few miles, as the 30k route joined back up with the 15k route.  Lots of 15k runners still on the course.  It wasn't a big deal.  There was lots of room for everyone!

And it wasn't dark yet, and the rain had let up.  Oh, and I had warmed up a little bit :)

At the finish, they were handing out bottles of water (normal post-race behaviour, yes) but they were Reusable bottles that were pre-filled with cool, fresh water!  I love this.  They had a variety of colours and they let me pick my colour (red)!

nice touch, Midsummer Night's Run!!
Finish time: 2:19:33 (so much for the training run)
overall 72/630
Age Group 6/108
Gender 11/297

They had post-race festivities like Steam Whistle Beer (which I do enjoy) and a BBQ, but after I grabbed my checked bag and bundled into my sweatshirt, I took my banana to the shuttle bus and headed home.  Evening races are tiring sometimes!

My legs feel great, post-race, so I am ready for the next week of miles ahead of me!


               
               

No comments:

Post a Comment